Saturday, December 26, 2015

Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard

“The gods rule us still. They have come down from the stars. And they are no longer kind.” - Victoria Aveyard, Red Queen


17-year-old Mare is waiting for the day when she is conscripted into the army the same way her older brothers were before her. She knows that her conscription is inevitable, even while she doesn’t want to fight a war for the Silver-bloods.
When her best friend loses his job and is also headed for the army, she knows that she has to do something to save the both of them.
Can Mare really save herself from conscription? Or are there worse fates in store for her?

This was an okay story, but I lost interest.

This one took some time for me to really get into and enjoy. I think there was a lot of build up from friends who OMG LOVED IT. My expectations were really high and the story lacked a spark that I was looking for. 

I have so many mixed feelings about this book. This story has been so over-hyped lately so I was expecting this book to easily become one of my new favorites and it was just okay. This book was really difficult for me to get into, it was very slow in the beginning and for the first 100 pages I wasn't sure if I was gonna be able to get into it. 

I  love a great romance as much as the next girl (in fact romances are my favorite!) but I guess I just don't like them as much in this type of novel. Maybe it's because the romance aspect feels teeny boppy and immature since the protagonist changes her mind so often about who she may or may not love? It boggles my mind how easily they fall in and out of love. I just don't get it. 

The ending to this was again, predictable, and slow. I was glad about certain aspects, but I still had trouble staying focused. I’m not sure if I want to read the next book in the series. But there was also some great storytelling to keep me interested in a second book. I don't really know.
 I can understand why people love it and I get the appeal, but it was a miss for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment